CDL Route Associate (Driver)
UPDATED JAN. 2024
about the position
The Scraps Route Associate position is for folks looking to work hard while doing good. As a Route Associate, your primary responsibility will be servicing Scraps members – picking up compost from residential and commercial customers – along your day’s route. You’ll primarily be tipping toters located outdoors or in semi-outdoor locations, in alleys, parking garages and otherwise. You will occasionally also swap out bags in office bins as well, and pull bags from bins along residential routes. You will be responsible for helping keep bins clean and tidy on and off route, and alerting your supervisor to any issues regarding excessively unclean bins or unkempt bin areas. You will utilize our proprietary software to guide you through your route, log your hours, and to mark all stops and tasks appropriately. You will occasionally interact directly with Scraps members, and you will serve as a representative and an ambassador of Scraps and our mission at all times during your work day. You’ll be expected to drive our vehicles safely and responsibly above all, and to complete your route efficiently.
This is a physically demanding job, requiring you to be outside, rain or shine (or snow!), rolling, pushing, lifting, dumping, and cleaning compost bins of various sizes and weights. You’ll be supported by our small, experienced and hardworking team throughout. And, you’ll have the satisfaction of helping our more than 3,000 members to make composting a part of their lives, with all of the benefits composting brings to our planet and our community.
– safely & efficiently service Scraps members (i.e., collect their compost!)
– safely & responsibly drive Scraps vehicles along your route
– carefully track route progress and make notations as needed, using Scraps-provided software/systems
– effectively & consistently represent Scraps company & mission
– both share & listen to on-the-job feedback, to help improve operations, support the Scraps team and strengthen our community
knowledge, skills & abilities
– passion for sustainability, regenerative agriculture, local food systems, and/or related issues
– ability to problem-solve on the go
– entrepreneurial spirit & ability to work with the fast pace of a small, growing company
– confident & safe driver
– proficiency with email, basic computer skills
– punctuality, reliability, strong time management skills
– clean driving record
– CDL B (minimum)
– must possess a valid driver’s license and pass a Department of Motor Vehicles background check
– must pass a general background check
– multi-year experience driving larger vehicles (medium- and heavy-duty pickup trucks, box trucks, Class 6 vehicles)
– strong communication & interpersonal skills
– ability to lift 50 pounds regularly and up to 80 pounds on occasion
– working knowledge of what compost is, how it’s made, and its benefits
– 1+ years of customer service experience
– delivery service experience (UPS, Amazon, GrubHub, etc.)
– familiarity with Google products (Gmail, Google Sheets, Google Meet, etc.)
– great sense of direction and familiarity with the Denver metro area
– experience operating mechanical vehicle upfits (lift gate, rail gate, dump body, cart tipper, etc.)
– basic vehicle maintenance experience
compensation and hours
– $33/hour (hourly position), with benefits, and opportunity for merit-based pay increases.
– generous PTO and flexible leave time.
– full week PTO on and including Christmas Day, through and including New Year’s Day, with potential for OT makeup pickup routes during this time.
Scraps is a mission-driven company that aims to make composting accessible and commonplace, truly the norm throughout our community. We treat composting as both a goal and a means to an end – an exceptional service that we provide to our members, and an easy first step along a person or a business’s journey to a more waste-free lifestyle. We work toward a future without food waste, and we strive to minimize our footprint while maximizing our positive impact along the way.
We are a small company of passionate individuals, fueled by a common desire to build a more waste-free world through our work, and rewarded by the benefits it brings us all. Ours is a culture of hard work, deep gratitude, and a commitment to caring for one another as a team, and for our members.
Scraps is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Scraps does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit & business need.